Get a NY Medical Marijuana Card
Qualifying for a New York Medical Marijuana Card
- Must be a resident of New York.
- Must be getting treated in New York for the condition for which you are seeking medical marijuana.
- Must be certified by a New York doctor who has registered with the Department of Health (DOH) to recommend medical marijuana.
- Patients apply to DOH to become a certified patient.
- Patient must have at least one of the following qualifying conditions:
– Chronic pain
– Acute pain management
– Opioid replacement
– Opioid use disorder
– AIDS or HIV
– Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
– Parkinson’s disease
– Multiple sclerosis
– damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication or intractable spasticity
– Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
– Huntington’s disease
– Cachexia or wasting syndrom
– Severe or chronic pain
– Severe nausea
– severe or persistent muscle spasms
- Certification expires after one year from the date the doctor signs it, or the doctor can specify an earlier termination date.
- If the patient is terminally ill (as certified by their doctor), the registration doesn’t expire until patient’s death.
- If the patient is under 21, a parent or legal guardian can make the application as the designated caregivers.
- Patients must pay $50 fee which can be reduced or waived if s/he is experiencing financial hardship.
- If the application is approved, DOH will issue the patients registry card that will include any limitations regarding forms or dosage made by the certifying doctor.
How to Find a New York Marijuana Doctor
The state of New York does not provide a list of medical marijuana doctors to the public. Only doctors can access the database which reveals all doctors that are registered with the New York Medical Marijuana Data Management System (MMDMS) and can issue medical marijuana certifications to patients.
If your doctor is not registered to issue medical marijuana certifications, he/she can find a doctor who is, by accessing the MMDMS for a list of New York medical marijuana doctors: MMDMS
Learn more at: New York State Medical Marijuana Program